2nd Draft Process Online
A Novel Approach Second Draft is a THREE PART PROCESS for novelists and memoirists who have completed the first draft of a manuscript and who now want help polishing their manuscript and learning the skills needed to pursue literary agent representation and/or pitch to traditional publishers.
PART 1: Obtain a SUBSTANTIVE EDIT of your manuscript.
PART 2: Plan your REWRITE and Complete it over the next 5 to 6 months.
The ideal completion target is June 30th if a participant intends to join the Part 3 Intensive Workshop starting in September each year. However, ONLINE participants may start SECOND DRAFT at any time (except July and August) and then follow the SUBSTANTIVE EDIT and REWRITE timelines.
Deadlines are a key feature of A Novel Approach Second Draft. ONLINE participants follow the same timetable design (5 to 6 months) as the regular workshop.
A NOVEL APPROACH SECOND DRAFT ‘ONLINE Process’
- This process is conducted one-on-one by email correspondence with your A Novel Approach mentor. The opportunity for in-person discussions will be available through Google Docs, Facetime or SKYPE.
- Shortly after the SUBSTANTIVE EDIT discussion, participants make decisions regarding possible rewrite approaches and prepare a plan with your mentor.
- Rewrites are submitted by email on a bi-weekly schedule, or uploaded to Google Docs, at the author’s discretion.
- Your mentor reviews the chapters as they are received, keeping in mind the rewrite plan objectives, and makes further suggestions if needed.
- The writer accepts or rejects these suggestions, resubmits the chapter for a final review by your mentor before moving on to the next segment.
- Writers and mentors meet monthly face-to-face using Skype, telephone. (or in-person if the distance is not too great to travel)
- The Rewrite Target Completion date will be approximately 5 to 6 months after the Substantive Edit meeting.
- The objective is to finish the rewrite by the summer each year so you can participate in PART 3, if you choose to continue with the 9 week ‘PREPARING YOU AND YOUR BOOK FOR THE MARKETPLACE’ Workshop.
PART 3: Complete the 9 week Intensive Group Workshop: Preparing You and Your Book for the Marketplace.
PART 3 is not yet available as an ONLINE workshop, but ONLINE participants may join PART 3 if their REWRITE is completed.