PART 2: PLAN & FINISH YOUR REWRITE
Participants complete the Substantive Edit Rewrite Plan with their mentor before starting the rewrite.
- This process is conducted one-on-one by email correspondence, although the opportunity for in-person discussions will be available during the many silent writing dates here at Uplands Retreats starting in January, 2020.
- Shortly after the SUBSTANTIVE EDIT discussion, participants make decisions regarding possible rewrite approaches and prepare a plan with your mentor.
- Rewrites are submitted by email on a bi-weekly schedule, or at the conclusion of silent writing dates, at the author’s discretion.
- Your mentor reviews the chapters as they are received, keeping in mind the rewrite plan objectives, and makes further suggestions if needed. Note that the majority of the feedback and discussion regarding rewrites is conducted one on one between each author and the mentor. Authors do not engage with their fellow writers in terms of editing, but are encouraged to share comments and make suggestions based on the biweekly meetings.
- The writer accepts or rejects these suggestions, resubmits the chapter for a final review by your mentor before moving on to the next segment.
- Writers and mentors meet monthly face-to-face using Skype, telephone or in-person if the distance is not too great to travel.
- Every second Thursday (starting January 9th) Uplands is available to participants for 3 hours of silent writing.
- During the first half hour of each writing day segment, join your fellow writers, check-in on your progress, share successes and frustrations, perhaps share a short excerpt of new work. (This is completely voluntary.)
- There are 11 of these silent writing Thursday evenings, a total of 33 hours of rewriting time in a group setting.
- The Rewrite Target Completion date is June 30th, 2020, approximately 6 months after the Substantive Edit.
- The objective is to finish the rewrite and then take a summer break before starting PART 3, the 9 week ‘PREPARING YOU AND YOUR BOOK FOR THE MARKETPLACE’ Workshop, that starts in September, 2020.
$1,490 (+ HST) payable on or before the first writing date, if paying in full.
$1,650 (+ HST) if paying in INSTALLMENTS. (Details on the Payment Page)
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO REGISTER for PART TWO: Finish Your Rewrite.
Please note that the payment for the 9 week intensive promotion workshop (starting in September, 2020) of $385.00 + HST is not due until the first of the nine workshops in September, 2020.
SILENT WRITING THURSDAYS
All of the participating writers are welcome to write together during the evening time slots.
After the check-in, writers find a comfy spot at Uplands Retreats and work silently. We maintain a no talking policy during these revision sessions. You may stay the maximum time allotted, or leave when it suits you. It should be noted that authors will also need to devote time at home to completing their revisions.
The Rewrite Target Completion date is June, 2020. (approximately 6 months after your Substantive Edit)
2020 Silent Writing Dates: THURSDAY EVENINGS: 6:30 TO 9:30
Although the final group writing date is May 28th, your mentor will continue reviewing manuscripts and discussing ideas individually, if needed, until the end of June.