Second Draft – Our Three Part Process
PART ONE: SUBSTANTIVE EDIT
- Once you have registered and paid, finalize and submit the first draft of your manuscript via email by August 7th. (Include any notes regarding your plans for the story)
- Although you may register at anytime up to July 31st, JAMES starts reviewing manuscripts in early June.
- Meet with your mentor in person at a mutually agreed time and place (or via SKYPE, Facetime or Telephone) to discuss the substantive edit and review your mentor’s recommendations.
- Review the substantive edit and design a rewrite plan within 4 to 6 weeks of the review.
PART TWO: COMPLETE THE REWRITE
- Work with your mentor to develop a biweekly submission strategy and completion timeline.
- Stay focused on the thrill of knowing your story is only a short time away from publication.
- Maintain a creative revision schedule and engage with your mentor’s suggestions and discussion points throughout the process.
- Enjoy the process of writing together in a group atmosphere during the 12 silent writing days every second Thursday (morning or evening options) starting October 4th here at Uplands.
- If you are working with a mentor in the ONLINE format, a variety of methods are available to engage in LIVE feedback discussions including Skype, Facetime, Google Docs or via email attachments.
- Maintain the self-discipline to complete as much of your revision as possible (TARGET DATE IS MARCH BREAK) before the start of the third phase of Second Draft begins, the in-class book promotion workshops that start in April every year.
PART THREE: ‘PREPARING YOU AND YOUR BOOK FOR THE MARKETPLACE’ WORKSHOP
- Work together with the other writers in the in-class workshops to develop successful self-promotion strategies (Share the journey of writing and practicing agent pitches, memorizing Log Lines and elevator pitches, writing intriguing synopses and irresistible query letters, and learn techniques on how to research and approach agents and publishers.
- Take the manuscript that you now hold in your hands, and the promotion skills that you have learned, and enjoy the confidence it takes to promote your wonderful story to agents and publishers.