“The teaching of craft can be done without damage to a writer’s original voice or artistic self-esteem.”
― Pat Schneider (the 4th precept of the AWA Method)
Finish Your Rewrite
Flexibility is the operative principle when deciding which aspects of a Substantive Edit to include in your Rewrite Plan. Once you have taken some time to think through your options, make a detailed list of the changes. Then discuss your strategy with your mentor, who will help you focus on the critical changes and also support efficiency. Together you will establish a timetable that will support success.
We have designed this part of Second Draft into 10 hour mentorship blocks so you only pay for the time your mentor reads, reviews and discusses your rewrite.
Once your Substantive Edit Rewrite Plan is in place, the rewrite begins.
- This process is conducted one-on-one by email correspondence and supported with a one hour online Zoom format (or telephone call if you prefer) meeting every two weeks.
- Rewrites are submitted by email on a bi-weekly schedule, or at a faster pace, at the author’s discretion.
- Your mentor reviews the chapters as they are received, keeping in mind the rewrite plan objectives, and makes further suggestions if needed. Note that the feedback and discussion regarding rewrites is conducted one on one between each author and the mentor. Authors do not engage with other writers who may have been in the First Draft class.
- The writer accepts or rejects each mentor suggestion, resubmits the chapter for a final review before moving on to the next segment.
- Each author selects a (realistic) Target Completion date, NO MORE THAN 4 to 6 months after the Substantive Edit is reviewed.
The process traditionally utilizes the 10 hours like this:
- 4 one hour zoom meetings (biweekly for 2 months)
- 6 hours of emailing, discussion, reading and written feedback.
If you decide to perform substantial rewrites more quickly than the biweekly schedule design, most of those hours will be employed by your mentor reading and providing written feedback with fewer online meetings.
You decide how to best use your 10 hours.
If your rewrite is straightforward and manageable, it is likely you will complete your rewrites in one segment. If your rewrite is substantial, or more involved than expected, or you have limited time to spend on it due to other commitments, simply register for another 10 hour segment until completion. If you choose to take a break for a few months, no worries. Your unused hours are saved for you until you need them again.
CLICK BELOW TO REGISTER FOR A NOVEL APPROACH SECOND DRAFT PART TWO: Finish Your Rewrite
A NOTE ABOUT MANUSCRIPT LENGTH: The fees listed are for manuscripts up to 90,000 words in length.
If your manuscript is larger than this, an additional cost of .015 cents/word is applicable. (Example: for a manuscript of 100,000 words the additional cost would be 10,000 x .015 = $150 + HST) We will contact you about the methods available to pay the additional amount should this be necessary.
Note: Although we may identify spelling, punctuation and grammar errors, this is not the purpose of a substantive edit. When all revisions have been completed, and before submitting manuscripts to agents or publishers, we recommend all writers seek out the services of a line or copy editor.
If you would like to know more, please feel free to ask questions via the Contact Form on the website. Or contact us via telephone or email using the the information at the top of the website.
If you complete your rewrite ahead of schedule, or if you wish to withdraw from the process for any reason, we happily refund you for any unused hours.
FINISH YOUR REWRITE IS PART TWO of the A NOVEL APPROACH SECOND DRAFT WORKSHOP
It is not available as a stand alone workshop.